Our most trusted source of information for pet owners is VeterinaryPartner.com, an affiliate of VIN, the Veterinary Information Network.
We have provided the following external links to websites that provide some great information on a variety of topics related to veterinary medicine and pet health care. Understand that if you navigate away from this page to any of these links, the material on those links do not represent information presented by Holmes Veterinary Hospital.
We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
- Laurens County Humane Society
- Speak for Animals Reduced cost spay and neuter agency based in Greenville, SC
- PAWS Animal Wildlife Sanctuary wildlife rescue and rehabilitation
- Good Shepherd Pet Services Good Shepherd Pet Services provides pet cremation and memorialization to the Upstate of South Carolina.
- Greenville Humane Society
- Spartanburg Humane Society
- Concerned Citizens for Animals, Simpsonville, SC
- Dog Trainer’s Workshop , Fountain Inn, SC
- Wildlife Rehab of Greenville, Greenville, SC
- Center for Birds of Prey – rescue and rehab for birds of prey, Charleston, SC
- Upstate Veterinary Specialists, Greenville, SC
- South Carolina Veterinary Specialists, Columbia, SC
- Animal Emergency Clinic, Greenville, SC
- Critter Magazine, Greenville, SC
General Information Links:
- Choosing a new puppy This is a nice starter guide of things that you should consider when you are thinking about getting a puppy
- Breeds of Dogs A quick reference guide to many breeds of dogs, including photos and brief descriptions of each breed’s characteristics.
- Videos for Veterinary Clients Dr. Sam Meisler’s client education videos walk you through a variety of pet health and well-being issues.
- Heartworm Society Everything you ever wanted to know about heartworm disease can be found here!
- Behavior problems Founded by Brian Kilcommons and Sharon Wilson, best-selling authors and recognized experts on animal training and behavior, this site is a terrific resource for advice on a variety of behavioral problems. If you want to learn more about feline housesoiling, barking dogs, aggression, or any other behavioral problem, check this one out!
- Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement We have all experienced the pain of losing a pet. The Association of Pet Loss and Bereavement has set up this site for support during this most difficult time. You will find inspirational stories, grief counseling resources, hotline number and many other resources.
- National Animal Poison Control Center This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.
- Pet Poison Helpline A great web resource about pet safety and poisons.
- Plants Toxic to Animals, Introduction — Vet Med Library, UIUC A lot of information about toxic plants can be found here. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant.
- The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA) The Cat Fanciers’ Association website has lots of pictures, as well as information on cat breeds, cat care, upcoming cat shows, and much more.
- Veterinary Schools in the US This is a great link to all of the websites of veterinary schools in the United States.
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service The USDA maintains this website with information on a variety of animal health related topics, including the latest news on such things as Mad Cow Diseases, foot and mouth disease, and many other things.
- Advantage Flea Control This site is sponsored by Bayer Animal Health, the makers of new K9 Advantix for dogs and Advantage flea control for dogs and cats. It is loaded with information about fleas and flea control.
- Rainbow Bridge Anyone who has ever lost a pet should visit this wonderful site. It is a terrific tribute to our lost family members
- West Nile Virus This site is maintained by the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, and has the latest information on the spread of West Nile Virus in the US, as well as information on disease transmission, symptoms, etc.
- American Veterinary Medical Association This site is a good starting point to learn more about a variety of topics, including feline injection-site sarcomas and the latest subjects in veterinary medicine
- American Association of Feline Practitioners The AAFP is like the American Medical Association for cat doctors, and has lots of good information regarding feline health
- Fido Finder, a nationwide web site for lost and found pets
- Diabetic Cats Prozinc insulin has an excellent web resource about feline diabetes, including tutorials on drawing up insulin and administering injections.
- Online Pet Pharmacies Be A.W.A.R.E. Eye catching, attention-grabbing claims that sound convincing may be too good to be true. This FDA bulletin advises you how to protect yourself and your pet.
LOST and FOUND PETS:
Click here for information about what to do if you have lost a pet, or if you have found a stray dog or cat in Laurens County.